I Serve An Awesome God!!....Do You?.............................I Serve An Awesome God!!...Do You?

The Day My Life Changed

SEPTEMBER 16, 1972 is a day that I will relive for the rest of my life.
It happened at the Withlacoochee River in Florida, about two miles from my house. It was around 2:30 in the afternoon and I was only 14 years old. I snuck away from the house on my bicycle when I was told not to go swimming that day. I met two of my friends, Barry and Paul on the way to the river as planned, where we had swam many times before. If only I had known what was going to happen that day, I would never have gone!

When we arrived there was a man, his wife, and their two daughters who were all swimming. We put our bicycles down, took our shirts and jeans off that we wore over our swimming trunks and headed down to the river edge and dove in. The water was cool and the current was flowing as usual. We swam back to the river bank and got out of the water. We decided to climb a tree which leaned over the water. We had dove out of that tree many times in the past. I was the first to climb the tree and dive into the water, followed by my friends. We all swam back to the bank and got out. We climbed the tree again but this time we did “cannon balls”, swam back, and got out again. Then Barry asked Paul if he wanted to dive off his shoulders. He said yes, so he squatted to let him get on his shoulders and then stood up so he could dive into the river. After he dove in he swam back and as he was getting out he slipped back into water because the bank was getting very slippery. I ran and did a cannon ball again off the bank and as I was getting out, I too noticed that it was not so easy. I slipped quite a few times before I was finally able to climb back up on the bank. The wet clay was sticking to my feet so I rubbed my feet on the ground to remove most of it. Paul asked me if I wanted to dive off of his shoulders and I said “Sure! Why not?” So as he squatted down I climbed onto his shoulders and then he stood up so I could dive into the water. Just as I was ready to dive, IT HAPPENED!! My right foot slipped off his shoulder and I fell straight down on top of my head and rolled off into the water. I knew immediately that something was wrong. First of all, there was a tingling sensation all over my body, as though a thousand needles were sticking me! Secondly, I could not move anything. I tried so hard, but nothing would move. I KNEW I WAS IN TROUBLE.

My body was not responding no matter what I tried. I was in the fetal position (where your arms and knees are drawn up to your chest), floating face down in the water, drifting with the current. I could not see anything but the black water as the river towed me further and further away! You cannot imagine everything that was running through my mind all at the same time! But the main thing that I was thinking was: “I need to breathe! ”All of my thoughts changed from what was wrong with me to, “I am going to drown if I do not breathe NOW!!!” I could not hold my breath any longer (your body will take a breath whether you want it to or not, in or out of water). I knew that if took a breath my lungs would fill up with water, but I HAD TO BREATHE!! I was so terrified by now because I just knew I was going to DIE!!!
Just as my body forced me to take a breath, which would have been nothing but water, my friend Barry grabbed me and turned me over. I was finally able to take a breath of air, which felt like I had waited an eternity for! Barry swam back with me in tow to where Paul was waiting to help pull me out of river that had almost taken my life!!!

The family that was there swimming took me to the nearest hospital where they said I was now a quadriplegic (you are paralyzed from the neck down and cannot move or feel anything) and that I would never walk again!!! They said I would probably not make it and if I did I would be a vegetable for the rest of my life! Many times the family was called by the doctor who said I wouldn’t live through the night. I did die three times but God brought me back! Everyone wondered “Why did God let this happen?” But God’s wisdom is far greater than ours and out of this tragedy came faith, hope and inspiration! God was there all the time. God had other plans for my life, that plan was for me to serve Him! God is using me in so many ways it is so amazing!

People used to shy away from me because of my condition, but now they are drawn to me like a magnet. For example, the longest I have been able to “witness” to someone was over two hours and had him in tears! If I go anywhere with my wife to whom I have been married to for twenty-three years, someone will approach me and I just have to testify. I have given my testimony in church and spoken to the teen youth group, and it has changed so many of their lives. I will praise God one glorious day, with no wheelchair, handicapped van, horrible muscle spasms, or confinement. I will be free, all because of our precious Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!!! Even though we suffer and are tried in this life, the next life will be unbelievably satisfying beyond belief.

I was hurt thirty-nine years ago and I am not a vegetable, I’ve lived longer than the fourteen years the doctors predicted that I would in 1972. I graduated high school, went to college and graduated in computer programming, got married, and I have three kids and four grand kids! All because God had a plan for my life. Thank you for taking the time to read my testimony.

May God bless each and every one of you. Don’t despair at your own circumstances, God has brought me through so many things in my life time and I give all the Praise and Glory to Him! Amen.

27 comments:

Marlayne Giron said...

Henry - I think you are an amazing person and I can't wait to meet you!!

Anonymous said...

Everyday for the last 21 1/2 years I have watched you cope with being in a wheelchair and not having use of your hands. The way you deal with your limitations in such a calm and patient way amazes me. You are the love of my life and I thank God he brought us together.

Susan said...

Henry, you are an amazing, sincere, caring person with a great sense of humor. I am so grateful that you are my brother-in-law. You are a role model for many of us and we will remember you and your story for a lifetime. Susan

Chuck said...

Henry: A very touching story. How you have dealt with what life has handed you is an inspiration to us all.

Chuck

Henry Newell said...

Marlayne, I can't waite to meet you either.

Henry Newell said...

Vicki, you are my little Angel! I do not know what I would have done if it hadn't been for you these last 21 1/2 years we have been married. I thank God that he sent you to me. I will always love you, and do not ever forget it. I Love You!!!

Henry Newell said...

Thank you Susan & Chuck for your kind words. You do not know how much it means to me! Words can not describe what I feel right now! Love you, Henry

shannon i olson said...

thank you for sharing your story. God has given you much strength. congratulations on the new grandchild.

Henry Newell said...

Shannon I Olson, I thank you for taking the time to read my testimonies about me and my grandson. My God Bless you and all of your family...

Unknown said...

Henry, You are a true blessing to know and and real testimony to the power and grace of our Lord. you have overcome so much and you still offer others hope and help in their troubled times, I am so impressed with your insight, faith, and love in the Lord and his will for our lives. God is in control in all things and you are am awesome tool he uses to show others just that. God Bless you Henry.

Henry Newell said...

Thank you Jennifer for your comment on my story. I am glad that you took the time to read it and that you were impressed. I thank God every day that I am still here and that I can share my testimony with others and what God has done for me in my life. My God Bless you and your family.

Jennifer38 said...

I truly admire your strength and courage Uncle Henry. Your testimony just goes to show that God really does work in mysterious ways. You're right the Almighty Lord has a plan for you yet in life. God will never hand us more than we can handle and it's what we do with it that matters. Aunt Vicki is truly a God send for you, she is one amazing, extraordinary woman and she loves you to pieces. I love you both.

Henry Newell said...

Thanks Jennifer for your comment. You are right about your Aunt Vicki. She is truly special to me. I thank God that He had a plan for her life too, that he sent her to me. She is my little Angel. I don't know what I'd do without her. Words can not describe how much I truly love her!!! We love you too. God Bless...

ms.bo@live.com said...

Henry, Wow, a very inspirational story. it shows if a person keeps the faith, all thing are possible, you are living proof.
May God Bless You and, Yours!!!
Ms. Tammie

Henry Newell said...

Thank you Ms. Tammie for your comment. I have always told everyone that Faith is the key to all thing! I am glad that my testimony touched you. God Bless you and your family too...

Patti Woodward said...

Dear Henry: I must say, you brought a tear or two to my eyes, and showed me what a whimp I am. After reading your testimony and seeing what an awesome God we have, has only strengthened my faith. You have been through so much,and God has truly been gracious and merciful as far as your limitations. May He continue to Bless you and yours, and may you continue to be an inspiration to all. The love of Jesus certainly shows in you.

Henry Newell said...

Patti you are not a wimp. God will not put more on use than we can handle. It is how you handle it that makes the difference. If you trust in Him and have the Faith He will bring you through the storm no matter how big or small it is then you will see a calm on the other side Amen! I'm glad you Faith was strengthened after you read my testimony. Praise the Lord. You see that is what God wants us to do is have Faith in Him and His word then in His time not ours He will bring you through it all. That is when we can share our testimony with others what an awesome God we serve!!! Then your testimony will help someone else. May God Bless you Patti and never lose Faith or patient in Him and His word that is the key Amen...

Wanda Mckellar hughes said...

Brother, I am ashamed of complaining of how bad things seem to me at times. You are a strong man indeed. May the Lord continue to bless you till we meet.

Henry Newell said...

Wanda, none of us are perfect we all fall short of the Glory of God! God will never put more on us than we can handle. Some of us have it a little harder then others but we should always trust in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ Amen! When we put our trust in Him and let Him take control of our lives then we have nothing to worry about. So when things get rough and you don't think you can handle it just turn it over to God He will take care of it in His time not ours. Wanda you are stronger then you think you are and have nothing to be ashamed of when you have God on you side. I thank you for your comment. God Bless you always until we meet...

susan said...

What a testimony! May the lord bless you!

Henry Newell said...

Susan, thank you reading may testimony. I am very happy that you were touched. I Pray that you tell others about it, I want all who reads it to see what an awesome God we serve Amen! May Gods Blessings be on you always...

Anonymous said...

To God be the Glory for this amazing display of the grace and mercy of God. I am so honored to have connected with you through facebook. I do believe in divine connections. Continue to share Jesus to this hopeless world. Thank you for being an example to us all. Second Samuel, Chapter 9 tells of a story of Mephibosheth was dropped by accident and ended up at a place of honor for the rest of his life an that place was at the king's table.You are blessed to be in that same place at THE KING'S TABLE! Bless you and your family, Henry
Love, Priscilla

Victoria said...

Hi Henry you know after reading your blog I am very amazed at all God is calling you to do. There is not grass growing under your feet for sure. To me your a prime example of how God wants us all to be. Not waisting time feeling sorry for ourselves or getting stuck in the bad parts of life. Your a lime squeezer and you make lime aid out of your bad times. My hats off to you Henry. Your amazing, a blessing and I am honored to call you my friend. May God give me the grace to deal with life in all the grace and wisdom you have over the years. May God bless you and all you do. May His face shime up you and give you peace. You my friend are truly a God given miracle for all to see.

Henry Newell said...

Vickie, Thank you for the comment about my testimony.I'm glad that it touched you so much, I give God all the Praise and glory. God will give you all you need in life just ask and seek after Him with all of your heart. I think you are an amazing friend too as a Christian. I know that God is moving in your life also. May you be Blessed every day by God's grace and kindness. I'm glad that we are friends in Christ. Thank you for your uplifting words. God Bless you my friend...

Henry Newell said...

@ Priscilla, I'm glad that our paths cross, and I can call you my friend in Christ. I'm glad that my testimony has touched you and so many others that I give all the Praise and Glory to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Without Him I would not be here today. I thank you for you comment and I Pray that one day I will be able to sit at the King's table! God Bless you and your family too...

Belinda said...

thank you for sharing yourtestimony you are an amazing man of God your story has blessed me.

Henry Newell said...

Belinda you are welcome. I'm glad that my testimony has Blessed you. I'm so thankful that God has used me to touch so many lives on here and on facebook, I can not Praise Him enough Amen! God Bless you Belinda and your family...